Penelope Umbrico

Penelope Umbrico is a New York based artist whose art comments and reinterprets everyday consumerism through mass numbered installations that use objects, photographs and media. She finds inspiration through pages of consumer products such as catalogs, travel, brochures and websites like Flickr and EBay. Her use of social media is also very important within her process and inspiration, pulling found images and and ideas for her multiple ongoing projects. Her work has been shown in many major museums including the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art, MoMA PS1 and the Milwaukee Art Museum. She has received numerous of awards and fellowships, such as the Smithsonian Artist Research Fellowship and the New York Foundation of the Arts Fellowship.

Penelope is one of my favorite artists that I have ever had the privilege to see in person. Her work is incapsulating and honestly incredible. You look at it and the mass size and numerous images are incredible draw you in unlike anything I have experienced. I am not lying when I say I sat in front of her piece for over an hour, just looking and admiring every individual image, but also what it added to the set as a whole. Her work has stuck with me for over five years and I couldn't be more excited to use her as an inspiration for my work and senior project. 












Comments

  1. I can't wait to see how she inspires your senior project!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This work is so cool. I wish you had a massive budget, I'd love to see a collage of old screens like the one pictured in your post displaying images and videos of your shelter dogs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm wondering how the consumerism shoed in this installation specifically. It is an interenting work!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Andrew Norris

Final Installation: A Preview to My Senior Gallery Show